Sunday, February 3, 2008

Echos, Silence, Patience, and Grace.


At my work, for Christmas, they decided to give us gift certificates that we had to activate online. These were able to be used at numerous locales, including some online stores. I decided to activate my 15 dollars on Amazon.com. I have purchased CD's from them before, and found some that were only 2 dollars or so. This I thought was the perfect option. I could potentially get 4 or 5 CD's, and improve my already ridiculous CD collection. Then, as I was scrolling through the list, I found my choice. One disk. The band I want to see live more than anyone else.

I chose the Foo Fighters new album, Echos, Silence, Patience, and Grace. Let me say this: I absolutely made the right choice. The album is great, as they usually are, but something about this one for some reason really stuck out to me. Every song flows, Dave Grohl's voice is impressive. He can scream his heart out, and sing ballads with equal force.

The song Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners, stands out in particular. It is completely instramental, completely acoustic, and completely mind blowing. Its a 2:32 ballad, that is a tribute to two miners who were trapped when their mine collapsed. They asked for nothing, except an iPod with Foo Fighters songs on it, to tide them over until help came.

The album is suprisingly low - key. The first track, The Pretender rocks as hard as any of the Foo's previous songs.

I am not going to be one of those people who say that a certain bands music changed their life. I am however going to say that there are few artists I would rather listen to regardless of what I am feeling than the Foo Fighters.

I recommend for anyone interested that you get the songs Statues, Home, and Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners, if you are looking for a few songs to try out. But if you decide to get the whole album, you will not regret it.

Much Love.

No comments: